Wednesday, September 24, 2008

First day download

Wow. It’s Wednesday. I haven’t written since Friday. No new colour palettes in two weeks! Shameful, indeed. I’ve been distracted. Life has a tendency to do that.

So. Monday was my first day on the job. The first day in thirteen (13!) years I was to be considered An Employee. I was nervous and terrified. Barely slept Sunday night. By morning, my stomach was in so many knots and twists I thought I was going to vomit. Or cry. I couldn’t decide. Thankfully, I did neither.

Leaving time—9am—could not come soon enough. I had breakfasts and lunches to make, kids to clothe, teeth to brush, buses to catch and toddler to deliver. THEN I could leave. I made it to the store at 9:30am on the nose. And that was with an unnecessary detour.

Training began immediately, and barely paused for pee breaks or lunch until closing time at 5:30pm. The day was amazing—surrounded by colour, inspiration, design, laughter, and grown-ups! Of course, being the ‘systems’ person that I am—craving maximum efficiency in all that I do and all that is done around me—I already see areas for process improvement, but I will be patient.

Home by 6pm, to an empty house as Andrew was off with the boys to Quinn’s Jiu-Jitsu class. My sweet Andrew knows me so well—anticipating the first place I would go upon my arrival home is to my computer to check email. There, waiting for me—no note, no fanfare—was a perfectly poured shot glass of butterscotch liqueur. We didn’t even have butterscotch liqueur before Monday, so this meant he stopped in at the LCBO on the way home for this very reason. Let me hear it—“Awwwwwww”.

I could barely eat supper, I was so exhausted. Frankly, I can’t even remember what we had. Oh—the boys had mac and cheese, then Andrew ran out later to pick up Greek take-out for us. Yum. It was supposed to be date night, meaning a late dinner for just the two of us, followed by TV or a movie downstairs after the boys were off to bed. I fell asleep on the sofa at 8:30pm.

Not sure when I am going in to the store again. Probably next Monday, then Thursday. Seems those will be my days. Perhaps I need to rethink Monday date night!

Thanks for being patient with me, and nudging me when I haven’t written in a few days. You know I do love to write, though just haven’t had the inpiration or energy to do so lately. This too shall pass.

I owe you some colour palettes. Do you have a request?
Send me a picture and I will create a colour palette just for you!
— joanne at indetail dot ca (subject: JoeGirl palette request)


  1. I'm glad it went so well! But sorry you were so exhausted - what a long, hectic day. I'm sure you will get used to it in now time.

    We haven't had Greek take out in a million years - now my mouth is watering and I'm craving something with tatziki on it :-)

  2. I'm glad it went well... I was thinking about you. :)

    You'll get used to the mayhem... we all do, if grudgingly.

  3. That sounds like a very "good" exhaustion. Will be nice to have the week to re-group before returning to the shop next Monday.

    I imagine the nerves contributed to the heightened fatigue. That will fade in time (as you know ;)

    Congratulations on Day 1!

  4. Joe I know exactly where you are at with life being busy and taking over. Now you know why my blog has slowed down for a bit. lol

    Anyway, I am so glad you had a wonderful day at work. Maybe you should go for a different date night. 8:30 is too early for a date!!!!