Wednesday 5 November 2008

Beef Stroganoff

Meh. I didn’t love it… wasn’t the flavour I was hoping for. More like a beef stew, with roasted onions. Don’t get me wrong—I love onions, but for some reason beef stew has never been a favourite of mine, and tonight’s Stroganoff simply reminded me too much of stew.

Nonetheless, here’s the recipe for those of you eager to try something quick and easy, and perfect for an Autumn supper.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

Put in crock pot:
2-3 pounds stew meat
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 onion, sliced

Mix in a bowl and pour over meat:
¼ tsp. garlic salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1½ cups beef broth
1 tablespoon ketchup

Cook in crock pot on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough apple juice (about 5-6 tablespoons) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crock pot and add 4 ounces sliced mushrooms. Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. Then stir in ½ cup sour cream. Serve over broad egg noodles.

I have lots of nice easy recipes. Stay tuned…

5 comments:

  1. You're missing a bit of Sherry, and a little cream thrown in at the end. The Sherry will give it that classic stroganoff flavor. Fiddle with it a bit... Also, brown your meat briefly before adding to the crockpot. That will help it not have that "boiled stew meat" flavor.

    I'm giving it a try Joe Girl. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! The Sherry! I was looking for a more creamy flavour, with a hint of tartness. I did think this recipe was a little “hack”, with the apple juice and ketchup. I figured it would be quick and easy, and I had everything on hand. Thought the boys would love it. They did NOT. I am willing to try a more sophisticated recipe, should anybody have one.

    Chris, you rock ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joanne,
    How's Marley doing? Charles tells me she had to go to the vet? Is she okay?
    BYW- I'm a huge lover of Beef Strogonauf myself, and I agree with the comments above, above cooking the meat ahead, plus your recipe is misssing the sour cream, which I imagine could be added at the end, gives it that creamy taste! Great blog by the way. Very fresh! My heart melts when you describe your Marley Adventures. Give her a big hug and kiss from me. BTW- Your boys are absolutely adorable in those pics!
    Marley's foster mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beef stroganoff too - I have a good recipe somewhere, although it is not for the slow cooker. I agree - brown the beef first. I am dying to make some beef stew, I've been craving some badly and that is my new goal for the week, lol. Sorry you didn't love your stroganoff - I'm sure next time will be better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made it last night-Girls Loved it!!!
    Keep them coming!!!
    Thanks
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete