Wednesday 7 February 2007

One less heartbeat...


It's quiet here today, as last night we had to say goodbye to our Sweet Jasmin. After her illness in September, and subsequent mild recurrences, we decided to let her go before she became even more sick. Jazzy hadn't been eating much at all for over two weeks, and in the last few days she was bringing back up anything she did manage to eat, namely dog cookies and yogurt, her favourite things. At about 6:30 last night, her vomit was pure blood - a stomach-full of it. So we knew. We rushed her to the animal hospital where our favourite vet was able to help.

Jasmin went so peacefully, and quietly. Andrew and I were there with her, and held her tight as she slipped away. I felt calm, and settled, though the first thing I noticed when we arrived back home was how quiet the house was. Even though Quinn was still up, and Jake was squawking, there was one less heartbeat.

When the sun came up this morning, I was hit pretty hard with the reality of it all. Signs of her everywhere. They are painful now, but I know in time I will cherish those glimpses into a life that was sweet and precious. I miss her so much already.

Wild Jasmin Lauzon
June 26, 1998 - February 6, 2007

4 comments:

  1. Although our pets aren't with us long they leave us with a lifetime of special memories. We're so sorry for the loss of Jasmin. She had a good life and was loved. Love and hugs to you all. x00000x
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Toots, trying to type through a mess of tears.
    Jazzy was special to us in many ways. There is something special about a shar-pei that even other dog owners can't understand and Jazzy was a great one. I know first hand how hard it is to loose your dog and feel for you. Try to enjoy the good memories and remember...she is off playing with her boyfirend, Ozzy.
    Love you guys. I am here if you need an ear,
    Toots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joanne! I am so sorry for you and the family. I know what it's like to make that decision - never easy. Treasure the memories you had. The Tenth Good Thing About Barney is a good book to read to Quinn about loss.

    Love from Philly,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, I am so sorry to hear. It's so hard to let someone you love go. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love to all,
    Andi in Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete